Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Young Forever.


This post may be a little sad. I love Young Forever so I got inspired a little. I know Safaree wasn’t Nicki’s first love but I can’t think of any names so I’m using his middle one, lmao. I’ve been in such a writing mood lately and I have mad ideas in my head I just thought I’d write them out. Enjoy.

            Onika and her boyfriend were very young. Only 17, but she knew that since they began dating she was gonna be with him forever. They walked to school together each morning and took the subway to Times Square for lunch each afternoon after school; he always paid for her because Onika was always getting fired from several Red Lobsters around the NYC area. They both went to LaGuardia and Onika majored in acting while her boyfriend majored in singing. They both had major talent in what they did. Her boyfriend wasn’t an actor but they moth partook in plays since singing was a big part of the plays they did. Onika and he were the lead of a play before. That’s when Onika finally showed everyone she was more than an actor since she did horribly at her singing audition to enter the school because she was horse.

            One day, Onika and her boyfriend were walking from school to the subway.
“Can you believe it’s almost been 2 years we’ve been together?” said Onika smiling as she held onto Lloyd’s arm.
“Yep, I’m taking you out somewhere special tomorrow since it’s our 2 year anniversary” said Lloyd.
“Aw, babe you don’t have to do that. I just wanna spend time with you”
“Well, I wanna do it”
“Whatever floats your boat butter cup” Onika reached up and gave him a kiss, the couple walked down the stairs and then eventually onto the subway. They sat in the far end of the subway waiting to arrive at their destination in Times Square.
“Can we go to Bubba Gump?” asked Onika.
“The view from that restaurant is amaaaaaaazing” said Onika sighing.
“Anything for you Onika” he kissed her hand and held it. The subway stopped signaling they had arrived in Times Square.
            They couple maneuvered through Times Square Onika latched onto Lloyd considering how small she was and tall he was her head ended up just below his armpit. They arrived at Bubba Gump and there wasn’t a wait so they headed in. They ordered drinks and awaited the waitress’ return so they could order food.
“What are you gonna get?” asked Lloyd.
“I’ll probably get some chicken tenders and fries” replied Onika while looking at the menu.
“It’s cute how you eat childlike food” laughed Lloyd.
“I am still very young” said Onika sticking out her tongue and squinting her eyes while hiding behind her menu and peaking up. 

The waitress arrived back at the table with the drinks and took their orders. The couple sat waiting for the food to arrive. Onika asked for a kids menu to pass the time. She also did a little homework. The food arrived shortly and the couple began eating.
“So, are you gonna be in the new play?” asked Onika biting a fry and solving a math problem.
“I want to, I’m not sure. What would I be?” said Lloyd with a dry chuckle.
“Oh, yeah, it’s Wizard of Oz, you can be the Wizard” laughed Onika.
“What are you gonna try out for?”
“I’m thinking Dorothy…If not then maybe a munchkin that has a lot of lines…” said Onika eating some more of her food.
“Well, I think you should go with munchkin you have the height for it”
Onika shot him a look. “Whatever, you should really try out though” said Onika.
“I don’t know Onika; you know theater is your thing. I’m more of a singer”
“But, you can act too! I’m more of an actor but I love singing as a second way of expressing myself besides rap” said Onika.
“Well, we’ll talk about it later, okay, let’s get you home”

            The two left the check on the table with a $5 dollar tip and headed for the subway once again. They soon arrive to Southside Jamaica Queens. Lloyd walked Onika to her house. It was now around 4:30pm. They got out of school at 2:00. Lloyd told Onika to call him later and Onika nodded. She pecked his lips and headed into her chaotic house. Micaiah was wobbling around the house and Jelani was upstairs in his room as usual. Onika walked into the kitchen to find her mom scrambling around getting ready for work. Her father wasn’t to be found which was typical for her. He was probably out somewhere trying to find some drugs.
“Hi Ma” Onika kissed her mom’s cheek and took a seat at the kitchen table.
“Hi, Nicki” she grabbed her keys and things for work and headed to the closet to grab her jacket.
“You and Jelani make dinner. I’ll be home a little bit later tonight, okay?” asked Carol.
“Yeah Ma” Onika replied. Her mother usually worked 3 to 10 but this week they’ve allowed her to stay home then called her in at the last minute which meant if she wanted the money, she had to work the same amount of hours she usually worked.

            Onika popped a squat on the couch and flipped through channels. She got bored and walked upstairs and started banging on Jelani’s door.
“OPEN THE DOOR UGLY” said Onika banging.
Jelani opened the door then stared into Onika’s eyes. “What do you want?”
“Ma said we have to make dinner, I could do it myself but –” Jelani shut his door after he heard her say she could do it herself.
“JELANI, OPEN THIS GOT DAMN DOOR” Jelani then opened the door again.
“You just said you’d cook by yourself, fuck you still at my door for?” asked Jelani.
“Why are you being such a dick today? Ma said for you to help me. So freaking get your ass downstairs and help me cook this spaghetti. Jelani shut the door again. Grabbed a shirt and put it on, opened the door to see Onika still standing there
“After you, Sir Dick” said Onika as she held out her hand signaling him to go first.

            The siblings began cooking the dinner. Micaiah was sleeping on the couch. They soon finished and began eating. After they ate they washed the dishes and Onika went upstairs to shower. She came out got dressed and headed downstairs to see Jelani and Micaiah on the couch. They were watching TV when they heard a banging on the door. They knew it was their fathers knock, he didn’t have a key. This was the 7th time they’ve moved to get away from him. They never had any luck.
“That’s probably Dad…” said Onika.
She got up an answered the door. Her dad greeted them with a smile. He was very calm; he was calmer high than he was drunk. He hadn’t been drinking yet but the kids sensed it when he headed straight for the kitchen when he headed in the door. He grabbed a bear and crashed on to couch. By this time Onika had already headed upstairs and locked herself in her room and began writing. Jelani had taken Micaiah with him. Robert [their father] was pretty calm considering he only had one bottle. By the time there mother reached home 12:00am. The kids were all sleeping, and their father had crashed on the couch. Carol tip-toed upstairs to her bedroom and put on her night clothes and went to bed. It had been a lucky night.

The next morning Onika dressed and got ready for school. She wanted to dress up a little considering it was the day of she and Lloyds 2 year anniversary. She ended up wearing a gorgeous pink blouse and some khaki pants with a pair of white flats and white accessories. She straightened her long black hair and then grabbed her book bag and headed downstairs. She grabbed a bagel and went outside to see Lloyd standing there. The couple linked hands and walked to school. On the way, the hit a bit of a jam, as the couple walked through the alley as a shortcut they usually take and was pretty safe. A few of Lloyd’s old friends that despised him now showed up behind him. One of them had a gun and fired it in the air. It startled Nicki and she clanged onto him. Lloyd’s old friends had always been jealous of him and Nicki’s relationship. They wanted to get Lloyd out of the picture. Lloyd whispered to Onika.
“Onika get out of here…”
“No…I’m not gonna leave you”
“Nika…don’t worry about me. I want you to stay safe” Onika sighed; she knew she would be losing this battle. Lloyd was very protective of Onika. Onika let go of Lloyds arm and left the alley the way they would exit and hid behind a wall watching everything that was happening. The boys all talked for a little. Then they began jumping Lloyd. Onika sat behind the wall staring, tears began to fall. She saw Lloyd get up and head for the end of the alley to head to school. The boy with the gun wanted to signal they had won a fight. Instead of firing the gun in the air like he did when they started the altercation one of his friends hit his shoulder in congratulations and he already had his hand on the trigger. The gun fired and shot Lloyd right in his back. It went through his stomach and out onto the street on the other side. When Onika heard the gun shot she quickly looked over the brick wall she was hiding behind and saw the boys running and Lloyd laying on the ground. She began to silently weep. She called the ambulance and they got there in not time. She sat weeping on the street holding onto the spot of blood on his chest while waiting. She felt his heart stop beating. When the ambulance came they basically said there was no hope for Lloyd. They’d take him to run some test but he had lots to much blood and his heart wasn’t in good condition. Onika couldn’t go to school under these conditions. She began walking to the subway and grabbed a seat she just road. She never got off someone noticed this when he got on to go to school and got on to go home from school. He finally went and talked to Onika. He sat next to her.

“Hi…” he said slowly.
“H-i-i” said Onika as her voice cracked
“Do you plan on getting off the train” he gave a dry chuckle.
“Do you plan on telling me why you’re talking to me instead of being a dickhead?” asked Onika.
“Look, I’m sorry. I’m just concerned…why haven’t you gotten off the train yet?” he asked.
“I’m having a horrible day. I couldn’t go home. I couldn’t go to school. I came here” said Onika.
“Why are you having a horrible day?” asked the boy.
“My boyfriend died right in front of me, I sat there holding his chest as blood gushed out of him by the second” said Nicki never looking up. She began crying, her sobs grew louder.
“Wow…uh, I’m so sorry to hear that” said the boy.
“On top of that, today was our 2 year anniversary…It was supposed to be perfect. I thought we’d be together forever…” Onika wasn’t one to show her emotions to a complete stranger but she was at a vulnerable state.
“Whoa, I don’t know what I’d do…I do know what I’m gonna do right now though” he wrapped his arms around Onika’s tiny frame. She saw this as him trying to take advantage of her rather than comfort her.
“Wait, get off. Get off, get off, why are you doing this? What do you want from me?” asked a defensive Onika.
“I’m not trying to get anything out of this. I can see you need some comfort and a shoulder to cry on, I’ll be that. It’s just part of my character” answered the boy.
“Well, here I am confessing my feelings to some boy I don’t even know anything about or the age of” said Onika sitting up and staring out the subway window to the dark undergrounds of NY.
“For starters, my name is Safaree; I’m trying to get people to call me Scaff Beezy, but that’s not looking to hot. I just turned 19 years old. I have a big ass head, and I go to a public school in Brooklyn but I ride the subway out to Queens…” he began.
Onika cut in. “I live in Queens, I’ve never seen nor heard of you”
“I didn’t get to finish…I ride the subway out and head to my friend Rex’s house, so I’m inside, plus I don’t live there my name isn’t common around those streets, tell me about yourself” said Safaree.
“Well, my name is Onika: I get a mixture of nicknames between things like Nika and Nic or Nicki. My major is theater at LaGuardia High School. I live with my parents and 2 brothers. I live in Southside Jamaica Queens”
“Well, Miss Onika of Southside Jamaica Queens, would you mind getting off this subway and allowing me to walk you home?” asked Safaree.
“I hope you’re not trying to do something…Like take advantage of me. I’m not a vulnerable person. I’m just like this now because of what happened to be prior to spending the day on this train”
“I’m not trying anything; I thought we were already over this. I’m not like that” responded Safaree.
“Hmmm, I do need someone to take me home considering…” Onika couldn’t finish her statement. Every time Lloyd popped into her head knots grew in her stomach. She began crying again. Safaree hugged and comforted her until they got the stop that took them to Queens.
“I’m sorry…It’s just…”
“Shhh…no need to explain yourself, you’re going through something I understand” said Safaree.
“Thank you…” Onika had stopped crying. She lay there in Safaree’s arms. The subway came to a stop at Queens. The two got out and walked. Onika walked up the steps first and Safaree not far behind. She got out of the station and walked the streets of Queens. Onika had to first make a stop at Lloyd’s parents’ house to share the news. They had already found out. The ER had already contacted them. Onika shared a set of tears with them. She told them to be strong and she would try to be strong too. They shared news for a funeral set for next Friday, Onika agreed. She walked back outside to find Safaree. They began walking and they ended up at her house. Onika stopped at her doorstep.
“Thank you…” said Onika.
“Anything for a beautiful girl with a good heart…” said Safaree.
“Onika…I uh, I think this shouldn’t be the last time we see each other…” started Safaree.
“Me either…I you’re an amazing person from what I saw today. I’d love to get to know you more” said Onika…
“Me too…say we meet in the same place tomorrow? I’d love to take you out to lunch to get to know you more”
“Just…just as friends though right? I don’t wanna even think of another relationship right now. I’m still not okay…” Onika began tearing up again. She wiped them as quickly as they came out and walked inside her house. She came back out with a pen and paper. She jotted down her name and number.
“Here’s my number Safaree…sorry we met at such a bad start. But you’re cool, I think this could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship” said Onika trying to force a smile.
“Sounds good…Onika, see you tomorrow?”
“Just call me and tell me when, maybe I’ll be a little better” said Onika.
“Okay…” Safaree then was on his way to his friend’s house. Onika walked into her house ready to hear her mother’s mouth. She didn’t say a word. She rushed down the steps and over to Onika with open arms. Lloyd’s parents had called her to tell her not to be upset with Onika for missing school.
“Ma…you’re not mad?” asked Onika.
“No baby, you’re hurting. I understand. You’re fine, I have dinner ready, eat when you please” Onika thanked her mother and walked up to her room to call Thembi and Tyesha. They too had already heard the news. The girls stayed on the phone for hours as Onika explained her day. The phone call ended with Nicki feeling a little bit better. They reassured her things would turn out better. After all everything happens for a reason.


*winks* Do you get the last sentence? I wanna know what you think EYE met by that. Not the actual quote itself, anways, PULEASEEEE COMMENT. I wanna know your thoughts. I have another “Old Nicki” type post in the works; you’ll get it when I’m done. Don’t forget to comment on the post you should all know the name of by now so you can get the next part J xoxo! 

1 comment:

  1. I think she met Safaree on that day for a reason..That he was there for her right when he needed her.I like this one too I want to know what happens

    ReplyDelete